Take the steps in this guide to get the most out of your transfer experience
First Year at UC Irvine
Fall | Your First Quarter at UCI
Discover the Possibilities...
- Review your syllabi, write out your deadlines, midterms, and finals in a planner/calendar; staying organized will help you effectively manage your time throughout each quarter
- Utilize the resources and support available at the Transfer Student Center to help facilitate your transition to UCI
- Find your community on campus by getting involved in campus organizations, volunteer programs, and student life in the Social Sciences
- Build professional relationships with professors in class and during office hours; read their scholarly work, invite them to have coffee, and share your research interests
- Consider Study Abroad; compare program options that best fit your goals
- Develop a course plan; meet with an academic counselor to discuss major requirements and class schedule
- Create or update your resume/CV and receive feedback from the Social Sciences Academic Resource Center and Division of Career Pathways
- Complete your profile on Handshake and apply for on/off -campus jobs and internships to develop experience and skills
- Think about applying to research opportunities including the Summer Research Opportunities Program! Applications are due starting in Novemeber through February 10th
- Thinking of opportunities outside of campus? Consider joining the Peace Corp and Americorp! Visit their webpages to check quarterly deadlines and volunteer opportunities
Winter | The Midway Point
Exploring Further Options...
- Research all certificates offered by each department in our School
- Develop your expertise; consider double majoring, minoring, and/or applying for a departmental certificate
- Identify potential faculty mentors, learn more about their areas of interest, and apply for research opportunities
- For prestigious scholarships and internships see the following links below
- Prestigious Fellowships
- Summer Research Programs
- Leadership Scholarships
- Consider pursuing independent research through your department’s honors program, if eligible
- Consider applying to prestigious, national and international scholarships; contact the Scholarship Opportunities Program to schedule a personalized advising appointment
Spring Quarter | Almost Done With the First Year
What Comes Next?
- Begin the graduate school application process; identity which type of graduate degree best fits your career goals and research specific graduate programs of interest
- Apply for a summer internship and earn academic credit through Social Sciences 197
- Receive funding for your research project; apply for a spring UROP grant and/or the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP)
- Level up your leadership experiences; apply for an officer or executive board position of your club/organization, sorority/fraternity, or ASUCI
Second Year at UC Irvine
Fall | It Starts Over Again
Don't Go Through the Motions
- Update your resume and receive feedback from the Social Sciences Academic Resource Center and Division of Career Pathways
- Connect with an academic counselor and check in often to review your transcript, plans and progress. Develop that relationship!
- Apply to graduate school, work closely with mentors to create a strong portfolio for your graduate school applications
- Create a letter of recommendation portfolio for your letter writers to facilitate the process (including transcripts, statement of purpose, CV/resume, list of schools, etc.)
- Connect with admission representatives by attending the Division of Career Pathways’ Graduate & Professional School Fairs
- Receive funding for your research project; apply for a fall UROP grant
- File an Application for Graduation in Student Access by the deadline stated for the quarter in which you expect to graduate
Winter | Continue Planning the Future
Put Your Plans into Practice
- Review your progress on DegreeWorks and schedule a grad check with your academic counselor
- Use UCI’s Big Interview platform to practice for job and graduate school interviews; conduct informational interviews with professionals in your field of interest
- Meet often with a SSARC Graduate Student Advisor to address your questions, concerns, and experiences thus far with the application process
- Evaluate graduate school letters of acceptance and financial support offers; respond with decisions by final deadlines
Spring Quarter | Graduation is Upon Us!
Ready to Start the New Chapter?
- Sign up for Commencement tickets as soon as you are eligible; online ticket reservations for school Commencement ceremonies open individually at varying times for each school
- Purchase your academic regalia during the UCI Alumni Association's GradExpo at the Newkirk Alumni Center
- Attend the Division of Career Pathways’ Spring Career Fair to identify full-time employment opportunities to apply to or prepare your transition to graduate school
- Present your research findings through oral and poster presentations to faculty, staff, and members of the UCI community at the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Graduate and stay connected by joining the UCI Alumni Association, The Anteater Network, and the UCI Alumni LinkedIn group
- Enhance your value with employers and advance your job search through the career resources, courses, and certificates made available through the UCI Division of Continuing Education
If you are interested in discussing your transfer experience, come by SSARC! Build your community with us or visit the Transfer Student Hub.