Thank you for your interest in providing internship opportunities for our students through our academic internship program. Our program seeks to provide students with internships experiences that will incorporate experiential learning with knowledge and theory acquired in the classroom. Please read the following information to facilitate the process of recruiting a Social Sciences student at UCI.
Guiding a student through an internship takes dedication and advanced planning. Review the information listed on our Career Center's Internship Policies page for details on academic internships and risk management. To be considered for approval for academic credit you must provide an official offer letter and/or a hiring packet to prospective interns working with you that includes:
- Supervisor's signature
- Start and end dates of the internship with the hours per week
- The contact information of the supervisor (phone, website, email, address, etc.)
- Indication of pay or non-pay (if paid, indicate hourly wage)
- A clear description of learning objectives or goals related to student's major
- A job description that outlines special projects, tasks and qualifications
NOTICE: Internships are more likely to be approved if the internship is a student-focused learning experience. Student's duties or responsibilities must be (80%) professional or para-professional. Remote internships and internships outside of the LA or Orange County Area will not be approved for academic credit.
Registering an internship experience for our students
- It is highly recommended that you register through our Career Center's internship portal, Handshake. Click on the "Log In or Create a FREE Handshake Account" in the new window to begin the registry process
- Posting through our Career Center will increase your visibility to our students campus wide
- When registered, your internship post will be maintained by the Career Center
- If you are providing a non-paid position, review the guidelines of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Fact Sheet #71 regarding intern compensation
NOTICE: Students will be submitting an evaluation on their academic internship experience at the end of each quarter. If your site is evaluated highly, we will include your posting on a separate list through the SSARC website as an additional resource and marketing tool for your company. Additional information may be requested for posting on our web page.
- Students are responsible to log their work hours based on units enrolled in for the course (2 units, 50; 4 units, 100).
- Students are expected to participate in a 10-week internship in a quarter, during the academic year
- During summer a full term is equivalent to 5-weeks of 50 to 100 hours
- Students will request an evaluation and signature for their completed hours from their supervisors each quarter
- A letter of verification for enrollment can be requested by the student if necessary