The SSARC offers the Social Sciences 197: Professional Internships Course which is an online, P/NP course that provides students with academic credit for internship
experiences. Students participating in an internship will apply knowledge acquired
in the classroom through their internship experience during their 5 hours-10 hours
per week (2-4 units) of service. Social Science 197 is restricted to Social Science
Major students only.
Where do I find an internship opportunity?
There are many ways to find an internship.
- Click here for UCI Handshake
- Click here for different UC Internship Opportunties
- Online Resource: indeed.com, monster.com, idealist.org
- SSARCs Database of past Internship partnerships
Internship courses are offered every quarter, including Summer Session I & II, and enrollment is first-come, first-served. Authorization codes are required for the course and will be distributed at the Social Sciences Academic Resource Center (SBSG 1230). No late adds will be accepted into the course.
- Find an internship
- Visit the SSARC office to meet with the SSARC Manager
- Be prepared to provide a physical official offer letter from your supervisor that includes (1) name, location, and website of your internship site, (2) name, e-mail, and phone number of your supervisor, and (3) outlines your duties, responsibilities, hours, employment date, pay (if applicable), and your employer's signature to the SSARC (SBSG 1230).
- If you are an international student, you must submit this information IN ADDITION to your completed CPT form to the Social Sciences Undergraduate Student Affairs Office (SBSG 1201) for approval. Completing CPT may take seven (7) business days. For more information please visit the International Center's Website by Clicking Here
- You must have your internship site approved prior to receiving your authorization
code from the SSARC Manager
- Please Note: Remote internships and internships outside of the LA or Orange County
Area will not be approved for academic credit.
- Please Note: Remote internships and internships outside of the LA or Orange County Area will not be approved for academic credit.
- Space is limited. Submit all necessary documents no later than Friday of Week 1
Effective Fall 2017
Each quarter, three courses are offered for internships. You will be placed based on your internship agreement.
- Social Sciences 197A: 4 units for unpaid internship (100 hours/quarter)
- Social Sciences 197B: 2 units for unpaid internship (50 hours/quarter)
- Social Sciences 197C: 2 units for paid internship (50-100 hours/quarter)
All internships have the same learning outcomes:
- Define and articulate the fundamentals of leadership theory and leader self-development
- Identify their strengths and potential career aspirations
- Perform general, if not specific, work-related tasks and assignments respective to their internship
- Implement key professional strategies and practices introduced through online lectures and assigned readings
For more information, please contact us at 949-824-8322 or email@example.com